Communication and Interaction Needs:
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Speech, Language and Communication Needs
- We use visual timetables
- When needed to support children to understand what will happen and when we use red and green boards or now and next boards
- We provide areas with reduced distractions and low stimulus
- We offer additional support during break and lunch time when appropriate.
- We use social stories to help children learn how to approach different social situations.
- We offer 1-1 or small group intervention.
- We have a variety of resources available to use, depending on a child’s sensory difficulty. Eg wobble cushions, oral motor devices, isolation earphones, personal workstations.
- Counselling sessions like Draw Talk are available with our PSA for anxiety or anger
- We run small group speech and language sessions.
- We deliver speech and language workshops for parents.
- We access the expertise and advice of the local authority Speech, Language and Social Communication team.